Wednesday 21 January 2009

When The Music Changes....


I thought I would never again feel quite the same levels of elation and excitment as I did when Nelson Mandala was inaugurated as President of South Africa in 1994.

Yesterday, I did.

“When the music changes, so does the dance”
African proverb


January 20th 2009


“For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.

God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.”



May 10th 1994

"I have fought against white domination and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve.

"Never, never, and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another... The sun shall never set on so glorious a human achievement. Let freedom reign. God bless Africa!"


Two great men - one aim.

15 comments:

adrienne trafford said...

Tessa, it was an emotional day yesterday - i haven't felt this hopeful in a very long time! joy joy joy!! xoxo

karen said...

wonderful! and great pic of Madiba, too..

Hana Njau-Okolo said...

Tessa,

A wonderful proverb that lends itself so well to the new dawn.

Let the music play!!!
Pole pole, tutafika.
Mama Shujaa.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, this new chapter, I'm thrilled. Love the proverb!

Cindy said...

Well said! I haven't felt an optimism like this in America in a long, long time!

tam said...

YEAH! Love that you drew the parallels I've been musing about. So cool. We all benefit from some sanity in that office. Perhaps not in the ways we might expect. A US pres that can dance? Priceless!

Maithri said...

What a fantastic post,

Love the comparison of these two great men,

Heres to a new dance,

Blessings of love,

Maithri

Deb said...

Hi Tessa ~ This truly is a time of celebration! Your post was thoughtful and well-written. Let the dance begin! Take care.

Janelle said...

WOW! great post. and whoa, what a day, eh? yesterday. a great great moment. great indeed. xxx j

Sarah Laurence said...

They both spoke beautifully and you bring it back to life. I especially loved that passage in Obama's speech. Listening to it, I got a sense of history happening. The mood is elated here in the USA.

Perfect African proverb!

Renee said...

I know I am stepping away from the bigger picture here but dare I say that they are both so cool. An inside cool, not one you can purchase.

Obama is so sexy.

Love Renee

Renee said...

Now getting back to the bigger picture. I love this post and the comparison you have done with both men't speeches.

There are both an example of real humanity at its best.

xoxo

Renee

Ashley said...

I liked you after reading your BATW post.... now I love you. I'm sorry if that's weird. Haha!

aims said...

May this man be the one who brings the change the world so greatly needs.

He has filled so many hearts with hope - including mine.

His inaugauration is more than a swearing in of a new president - it is history - a writing in the galaxy of a future that we all look towards with starry eyes.

C-ingspots said...

I too felt hope and much emotion at the words that were spoken. God bless each one of us and our leaders; for theirs is not a job that I can envy. Well spoken and well timed. Yes, let's dance!